textures

Experimenting with ink

Trying different ways to ink lino. First thing I discovered was my roller had some dried glue and medium on it after using it for other stuff so there are some unintended textures and added variation to the ink coverage. I also did some ghost prints and sprayed water onto the lino when there was barely any ink left. I got a surprising amount of ink onto the paper just from spraying the water. It gave quite a grainy texture to those prints too. Even wiping most of the ink off the lino and running it through my small press with newsprint transferred the wiping marks to paper.

For my paper I used some old scrappy pieces and newsprint to print on. They are more interesting to me than better quality papers at the moment. It will probably age badly but I find those changes interesting.

Water sprayed onto lino to use up ink residue

Water sprayed onto lino without re-inking

Weathered textures

Experimenting with monotypes to try and achieve textures. Also using Akua inks to avoid the need for solvents. Oil-based prints give off some strong fumes when I take them home so I'm taking my own water-based inks to college rather than use oils and solvents. The idea is to make textures that have an aged or weathered look. Taking several ghost prints from a single plate and adding a spray of water to get more of the ink residue off the plate and onto paper. Some have a texture that remind me of stone or books beginning to rot.

And some where I'm starting to use a little colour and pattern.